Thursday 18 April 2013

Once a Scout, Always a Scout!


All through my life until a few years ago I was part of a Scouts group. It’s said that once a Scout always a scout… I can say that all those years made a strong impact in all areas of my life. I’m so grateful for all I learned and experienced which I probably would never done so if it wasn't for this wonderful movement. And more important the people I met over the years which until this day are the best friends I have…

“On my honour, I promise that I will do my best
To do my duty to God and to my country,
To help other people
And to keep the Scout Law”

If only every person in this world had promised and keept up with it…

Maybe if that is too much, we could just try one simple rule we used to follow “Always leave a place better than you found”. That meant that it didn't matter who was responsible for the mess you’d always try your best to leave it better for the next person. Our environment and the future generations would appreciate that so much…

But what if we step up and try to apply that to the people we meet everyday? Could we always leave people better than when we met them? That doesn't mean trying to change them to match your expectations of how they should be but to offer something that may bring some light to their life. That may be a simple smile, kind words, a kiss or hug, an acknowledging look, understanding, consideration, listening and sometimes just being silent by their side…

That way we may be able to live up to the original form of that rule, written by Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell, the father of scouting: "Try and leave this world a little better than you found it."

Happy day and be prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insight

My name is Jox, I'm 15 years old. I need to start by saying this: by no means, is this a historical document but merely an essay reque...